Our doctors are trained to manage both ocular disease and eye-related systemic disease.
This can be anything from dry eyes to macular degeneration. Some health concerns, such as diabetes, can cause eye problems if not treated properly. High blood sugar can lead to eye conditions such as diabetic retinopathy, macular edema, cataracts, or glaucoma. These conditions can result in fluctuating vision and permanent loss of sight. For this reason, individuals with these conditions should be seen by an optometrist annually or as prescribed by a primary care physician. Our doctors will assess and document existing or developing health concerns and start a treatment protocol if necessary. With your permission, we will also communicate findings and recommendations with your physician to maximize your coordination of care.
Steps to Maintain Eye Health:
- Manage your blood sugar and eat well.
- Manage your blood pressure.
- Participate in annual eye exams.
- Watch for any warning signs or sudden changes to your vision. (Blurriness, double vision, flashes, floaters, pain, redness)
- Don’t smoke.
- Minimize UVA and UVB exposure by wearing proper sunglasses.
Blue Valley Vision of Overland Park doctors welcome the opportunity to speak with you, at length, about any developing vision concerns. To schedule an appointment, please call 913-681-2624.